....original photography except where noted....


Sunday, July 11, 2010

and then you must laugh





yes, I know
I am a spirit
in a human body –
and yes,
I know that I am ‘not really
alone….’

and I also know that my skin
divides me from you –

and that no one here really knows
the precise wounding of my thoughts
or yours….

or the nuanced waves of our feelings….

sometimes –
life hits you
with your own humanity.

hits you with chemotherapy
with heartbreak
with death….

and one must bow one’s head
to the god of grief –
give one’s entire body over
to that wracking….

because grief will have its out….

if you don’t give grief your tears,
he will take it out of your bones –

your bones will ache for him –
your pores will weep sadness –
your body will burn with suppressed sorrow –

submit.
submit to grief.
you have lost.

you have lost love
or health
or life….

what you used to know is different now.
and you are
all alone

even in a packed ballroom –
or an airport teeming with travelers --
you are alone….

yet in bowing to grief,
you join a holy group….

and if you choose,
you can look differently at others now….

you can see them:
the ones that suffer.
and, if they choose,
they will see you.

you must grieve.

and then,
you must laugh….


____________
© 2010
Beth Anne Boardman

No comments: