....original photography except where noted....


Friday, January 06, 2012

the unknown bell




on my way through
the wilderness,

i heard a bell in the distance….

i could not tell
whether it was the single
ringing chime from a church –

or a temple-bell
through the trees –

silence followed….

birds fluted
and busied themselves
hopping from branch to branch
carrying urgent twigs….

insects chattered
among rustling grasses….

leaves brushed by one another
in their softly swaying dance….

continuing, questioning --
feeling touched, nonetheless,
by the great unknown….

again the bell sounded
at the edge of my hearing….

bringing my step
up short….

causing me to pause
like a doe in a clearing

all senses on high alert….

a swirl of wind,
a falling leaf….
a brilliant sky….

how is it
that i feel
the ringing of that bell
here inside my heart?

______________
©2012
beth anne boardman

No comments: