....original photography except where noted....


Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ocean



Today I went to a sad rocky beach and found sand!

All day I had been walking by pictures of people gone
from my life,

and listening to silences
and music,

and time seemed such a mystery!

I don’t want it to be sad.
I just wanted to sit and observe
that, wow:

here I am at this age
and in this place
with all this behind me
and who knows what in front of me....

And I didn’t want to go to the rocky beach,
because it used to be sandy and we swung there
and jumped into it....

But I went there anyway.

And there was sand!

And then I was confronted with
this vast fertility -- 

this ocean,
embarrassing with its richness of life and bounty and

breathtaking

in its ability to humble and snuff -- 
at the bash of a crystalline
translucent
aqua
foam-tipped
wave....

Then I realized
the ocean captured me,
threw its salty net around me
long ago!

I used to consider myself a proud mountain girl,
who had curiosity yet disdain for the ocean
and the people who came from the ocean....

But I knew somewhere in this disdain was a calling,
and now I’m here for twenty-five years and I love it.

The salty ocean is my salt blood
and my salt tears....

Next to her I feel small
and kin.

(And yes I say girl
at my age:

girl sounds like whirl and curl and unfurl –  
all things that waves do
and I like to do.)

There’s something about time and tides and life and
cycles and sand that seems gone and then comes back....  

The sea is time --
it is the great equalizer....

And beside it
nothing really matters

except loving it so.....

_________________
©2014

beth anne boardman

No comments: